Premium Braai/BBQ wood
SlowWwood is born out of love for the braai (BBQ), fireplace and wood. Because the men behind SlowWwood grew up in South Africa, Braaien (to BBQ) is part of their culture. Braaien is what Dutch people know as BBQ and what they often do on charcoal. With the braai, you make a fire with dense hardwoods and you burn the wood till you have your own coals. Coals made from SlowWwood premium braai/BBQ wood keeps their heat for 2 to 3 times longer than European hard woods (oak, beech, ash) and gives a beautiful long glowing coal. Because it has been dried under the African sun, it will burn easy and with little smoke.
The tree species (Sekelbos, Dichrostachys cinerea) are dead for more than 100 years before they can be felled and they are therefore well dried (natural drying). SlowWwood supports the local population in this process, the wood species proliferate on lands where the local (often poor) population lives and are seen as a true invader. By cleaning up these grounds, SlowWwood helps this group of people with a source of income. (Fair Trade). SlowWwood works together with the Ministry of Agriculture, Water and Forestry in Namibia and only invader species are utilized for braaiwood, hence it helps making ground available for agricultural usage. It also helps the generally poor local population to earn some money.
BBQ wood for a special moment
The magic of South-African Braai
Due to the natural drying it will burn easily and smoke little, the smell also gives a delicious taste to the meat. In South Africa they put large pieces of meat on the grill that cook slowly, instead of one sausage and skewer. Braai is a form of slow food, you take your time…
After all, braai isn’t all about food; more about the whole experience around it. It is seen as a social occasion, as a social gathering, something that is indispensable in South African culture. We regularly receive photos from customers who want to share their moment with us.
The benefits of SlowWwood Premium Braai/BBQ wood :
- delicious smell (bush field) and minimal smoke
- naturally dried in the African sun. <10% moisture
- (in comparison: European hardwood species are often offered at 30 to 35% moisture)
- it hold its heat 2 to 3 times longer than European hardwood and is therefore much more economical in use
- you will have coals for grilling for 2 to 3 hours and heat for 5 to 6 hours.
- gives nice big pieces of coal with a lot of heat. Ideal for grilling and monitoring the temperature
- 60% cheaper to use than European hardwood
- Supports the local population in South Africa